Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Making the Most of My Situation

Some days I think substitute teaching is great.  Other days, I am not as enthusiastic.  I find that if I focus on the difficulties of the job, I am dissatisfied.  But today, I am choosing to find the blessing.  I think it's easy to do that today, because I am off! :)

Seriously, I've had a pretty good couple of weeks.  I've encountered obstacles, but each one seemed to work out in my favor.  I like when that happens.  Last week, I got to go on a field trip with my daughter, Lily, and the Kindergarten classes at her elementary school.  In our former life, prior to Brian's lay-off, he was always the one to go on field trips.  That, and he took the kids to school.  Those days are gone, or at least they are gone for now.  I got to attend Jesse's field trip to the theater a month or so ago, and the zoo, well, I love the zoo.  I was so happy to get to go!
Lily and her best friend, Jazlynn, were buddies on the trip, so we got to go at our own pace.  She especially got a kick out of feeding the birds in the aviary.  I tried to talk her out of going in there, because I just KNEW we were gonna get pooped on.  (We didn't.)

The Ft. Worth zoo is spectacular, and it was a beautiful day to be out.  The zoo is doing a special dinosaur feature, so I got some cool pictures of the animatronic dinosaurs:

 
As it turns out, Lily is scared of animatronic dinosaurs.  I'm sure glad I was there!

Last night, Lily performed as a dancer in the Kindergarten's musical program.  I didn't think we'd all fit in the car, what with Lily's head growing so big.  Let's just say she was confident in her abilities.

She did well, and truth be told, I was pleased as punch.  I thought Brian was going to have a stroke, though.  We arrived at the school almost 45 minutes early so that he could set up the video camera.  That man adores this girl.  I'm so glad he does, too.

At any rate, I'm glad that I have a flexible job.  I am happy that I am available for my children, and I am pleased that I have a job that I enjoy.  The students are a lot of fun.  I have resolved to myself that I may as well make the most of it, with the budget concerns, I will probably be subbing for a while, God willing. 

But who knows?  When Brian was laid off, we didn't realize just how close he was to having a new job until he got one.  I may be closer to the career God has planned for me than I realize.  I just can't see around the corner...

Many blessings,

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment