Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Counting Down...

In less than three weeks, I will have access to my classroom.   The school where I will be working is undergoing an extensive renovation.  Everything was removed from the building.  Even the administrators have had to set up offices elsewhere.  For the last month, I've been finishing up an online course that the district requires in order to apply for the technology equipment needed for the classroom.  I submitted my application last weekend, and found out this week that I will have a new laptop, projector, and document camera in the next couple of weeks.  I found out today that I will have a SMART Board in my room, which is an interactive whiteboard.
Photo from www.smarttech.com
I created a few lessons using the SMART Board in the classroom last year, and I saved them on my flash drive so that I could upload them to my new computer.  I'm really excited to get to use this, as touch software enhances the lessons that I will be teaching, and makes the lessons accessible to students with special needs.  I already have planned several social studies lessons and can't wait to get started!

Today, I had some free time, so I went shopping at a nearby teachers' supply store.  It was wonderful to browse through the fun bulletin board decorations and classroom paraphernalia.  I am already so jazzed about the theme I have chosen for the classroom:  "Learning Takes Us Places".  I intend to feature student work and post only minimal posters and things, but the theme will feature various types of transportation.  I'd like to feature some pinwheels, since they suggest both movement and whimsy. 

I have been working on my class website.  It is slow going because I still have to work out the class schedule.  My students have various therapies, so I have to find out when those will occur in the schedule.  I also have to configure my learning centers based on my students individual goals.  I will be meeting with the other AVLS (Academic, Vocational, Life Skills) teacher at some point this week to discuss schedules, so I'm looking forward to that. 

We did manage to fit in a vacation to Galveston Island a couple of weeks ago.  It was nice to get away and spend some time at the beach.  The whole family had fun and it ended far too soon.  I will be a chaperone at Girls in Action (GA) summer camp at the end of this month.  I haven't been to camp since I was thirteen, so this should be interesting.  Afterwards, I'll be hitting it hard, getting the classroom ready in between attending trainings scheduled throughout the month of August.

One of the most important things I've done was signing my contract.  It was really anticlimactic after waiting two years--just a signature on a piece of paper.  I sort of imagined it differently, I suppose.  Nevertheless, I'm official now.  I think it will hit me when I actually set up the class.  I'm so excited I can hardly sleep at night! 

My prayer is that I will bless the students that I teach and that I will glorify God with all that I do.  I know that this year will have its challenges, but I just have this unmitigated optimism that God has been preparing me for what is to come.

Many blessings,

Jennifer



No comments:

Post a Comment