Monday, June 20, 2011

Movie Monday: Mary & Max

The thing about summer:  I forget what day it is!  I almost missed my Movie Monday post, and I planned to feature a movie that was the reason I started this whole thing!  If you're not intimidated by difficult movies, and have a slightly off-kilter sense of humor, then this movie is for you:  Mary & Max

Photo courtesy of imdb.com

The film is shot in black and white and sepia tones, and is claymation.  It's the story of a young girl, Mary, and her relationship with Max, a man with Asperger's Syndrome.  Mary lives in Australia and is an outcast.  Mary doesn't see the world in quite the same way that everyone else does, and she has a large birthmark on her face.  Max lives in New York, is Jewish, and is 44 years old.  Max is voiced by Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Mary is a little girl, voiced by Toni Collette.  They become pen pals, and develop an unusual friendship.

I liked this movie more than any other movie I've seen in a long time, which is saying a lot.  It is challenging, and it has a dark humor, but I'm into that sort of thing.  Even though the characters are cartoonish, this is not a kids' film.  It's the kind of movie that older teens should see, as it portrays how our differences can alienate us from others and can keep us from the things that we desire the most.  It's a story of friendship at its core, and I think that it is wonderful.  (Mary & Max is available on Netflix).

In other news, my oldest sons are on a mission trip to Mississippi.  They come home Saturday, and I miss them like crazy.  It's too quiet around here!  I'm truly, immensely proud of them for going out on a limb to help others in need.  I can't wait to hear what the Lord shows them on their journeys.  While they're gone, Brian and I are planning a surprise for them.  I'll keep you posted...

Finally, schools are posting teaching jobs!  I've been applying for special ed. and classroom teacher jobs, and I am praying for God's guidance in finding a job for the fall.  What a crazy time to begin a career in education!

Many blessings,

Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment